The biggest threat to free Wi-Fi security is the ability for the hacker to position himself between you and the connection point. Hackers can also use an unsecured Wi-Fi connection to distribute malware. If you allow file-sharing across a network, the hacker can easily plant infected software on your computer.
- Theft of Personal Information. One of the most serious and common threats concerns
- Theft of personal information.
- Cyber Attacks on Businesses.
- Man-In-The-Middle Attacks.
- Unencrypted Connections.
- Packet Sniffing / Eavesdropping.
- Malware Distribution.
- Session Hijacking.
So, unless the owner of the Public Wifi doesn’t claim to be having a secure Wifi along with the compliance regulations, it is better to avoid using it.
What should you NEVER do while using public wifi?
- Don't access personal bank accounts, or sensitive personal data, on unsecured public networks.
- Don't leave your laptop, tablet, or smartphone unattended in a public place.
- Don't shop online when using public Wi-Fi.
- Do not access any financial related app-platform such as Paypal.
- Do not access any private/financial-related documents on your device.
- Avoid checking email.
What is the best way to protect yourself while using public Wifi?
If you have to use a public wifi network, avoid using any site that needs your personal information, such as your bank account, your social security number, or your home residence. No financial transactions on public Wi-Fi. Big no.
- Stick With HTTPS
- Make sure you have extra layers of protection other than the windows firewall.
- Use VPN
- Use anti-virus
Protect yourself. Get the solution.